Jul 9, 2016

Morrison Springs

Did you know there are so many beautiful gems in Florida, not including the beautiful, white sandy beaches? One of those gems just happens to be an hour and a half drive from where we live!

On Wednesday, a few friends and I decided to head to Morrison Springs (one of several springs in the area). I've always had a desire to be in water where you can see the bottom. Coming from Missouri, it isn't real likely you'll find anything (that isn't a swimming pool) that you can see all the way down in. Being a kid and swimming in that water was always a blast, and while it's still fun, it has also gotten a whole lot creepier as I've gotten older. Being able to see the bottom of the spring last week was one of the most stunning things I've ever seen! 

When we decided to go to the springs, we had no idea it would be the coolest day of summer (and also one where there was NO sun). The springs are about 68-70 degrees, which sounds just about perfect on a really hot day, but a hot day it was not (the husband might be proud of that yodaism). 

Ciera and I brought some floaters with us, and Devon brought two blow-up paddle boards (WAY more sturdy than you might think). *Side note- Devon is going to be teaching 4th grade at the school I'll be at next year! I love military spouse connections!!* Since the water was just a bit cold, we decided to sit two to a paddle board and explore the area. Once you get to a certain spot around the bend, you can no longer see the bottom. The appeal of being in the water to me is knowing what's beneath me. That just also happens to be the appeal for Violet (who was thankfully on the paddle board with me). At one point, a log in the distance looked like it could be an alligator, and if there's a chance it could be, I'll take it to mean there IS an alligator, so we obviously booked it back to where we could see the bottom again. 

After awhile, Ciera and I got brave enough to slide onto our floaters (there's video of the whole ordeal in case you were wondering, and it was probably one of the best things I've ever witnessed). Eventually, your body "gets use to the cold" (i.e. you go numb) and then it's not so bad. The husband and I have plans to head there tomorrow, though we may try one of the other springs. I'm really looking forward to going with him, and my fingers are crossed it's as hot as hot can be! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment