Apr 5, 2016

Teaching

One of the difficult parts about being a military wife is finding a new job when you PCS. Being a teacher doesn't lend itself for a smooth transition from one state to the other, and timing isn't always on your side. There are always different qualifications to have and different licenses to obtain, and depending on the time of year, vacancies might not even be open. It's even harder when your spouse is only here for training, and there's not a guaranteed timeline. We could be here for the next whole school year, or we could be here until August.

A few weeks ago, I was browsing Pinterest (I mean, we all do), and came across an article of "work-from-home jobs" and seriously thought about passing it. Most of the time, those lists aren't helpful, and it's generally a waste of time. I had time to kill though, so I decided to take a look, and let me tell you, I'm really glad I did! I found a company where teachers teach ESL (English as a second language) to Chinese students. After doing some research on the company, I submitted my resume. I got a fast reply saying they were impressed with my resume (which is awesome since I spent a good deal of time redoing it). I had an interview the next week and got offered the job on the spot! I completed all of the training and "practicums" and began teaching last week!

All of the classes are online, one-on-one, and the students get to interact on the screen with the teacher. It's a lot different than teaching face-to-face, but I'm enjoying it so far. My biggest complaint is technological issues, but I suppose those happen even in a regular classroom. My goal is to eventually be back in the classroom, it's where I feel like I belong, but for now, it's a great alternative. I get to work from home, set my own schedule, TEACH, and it's a job I can travel with. It's perfect for this time in the husband's career.

Next year, I'll probably end up subbing as well. Let's be real though, it's so hard to be a substitute once you've been a teacher with your own class, in your own classroom, with your own rules, and your own way of doing things. Hats off to the substitutes of the world! It's not an "easy" job, like most people think. I know it's obviously not the same as teaching in your own classroom, and it definitely won't stop me from dreaming of having my own class again, but pair substituting with teaching online, and I think I might just be able to be content until I can get back into a classroom of my own! I've also got a few weddings to photograph this year, so I think I'm pretty set with work.

Speaking of photography, we have a lot of lizards around the house, and they've been making more appearances now that it's so nice outside. Today, as I was pulling the trash can back in, I spotted one and ran back inside to grab my camera. When I got out, it seemed to notice me and puffed up. It was so awesome, except for the fact that my camera wouldn't take the picture! By the time I switched to manual focus, it had moved. I did manage to snap a few pictures of it though! I also managed to snap a few pictures of some wild beasts roaming the yard. ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment